aliceunderskies

moving under skies

NYRB Classics collector. Reads anything, so long as it's good. Sometimes historian. Frequently grumpy:  you've been warned. Also at aliceunderskies.tumblr.com.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium Trilogy)

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium Trilogy) - Stieg Larsson

What a curious book--it managed to be totally compelling and addictive reading even though it has basically no plot tension at all. I got around that by pretending it was just part 2 of the previous book, which it basically is: that was the set-up and this is the payback. And boy, does Larsson pile on the payback like it's going out of style. It is basically never, not once, in doubt that the good guys are going to win. How could it be? Heroes emerge from the cracks from all directions and descend upon the baddies; there are safety nets upon safety nets; there is no way that retribution will not be unleashed. It's amazing that this is a thriller because it breaks all of the rules. I have trouble getting past this fundamental flaw; the entire time I was reading (voraciously, to the exclusion of all else) I kept exclaiming to my boyfriend about the weird complete lack of tension total campy amazingness. It's a mystery of a book--it really shouldn't work! In my case, I suppose it comes down to unrepentant adoration of Lisbeth Salander. She is the best (superhuman, ridiculously improbable, I DON'T KNOW) character in this series or any other popular fiction that I've read in recent memory. Mikael is dull as dishwater after the first book but somehow made compelling just by association. Between the two of them there is some sort of addictive chemistry and I am truly saddened that there will be no more.